Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Culture, Traveling and Partying!

Hmm what to write about this time. Sadly, more and more people are leaving everyday. We had a farewell dinner for Minnie the other day, and I scheduled my flight to leave May 1st but that’s to travel in China!! Tracy, Lisa and I are backpacking through China next week!!

Over the weekend, a few of us realized that we had definitely not seen enough culture in Hong Kong yet. I guess because we live here, we felt that we had all the time in the world. Anyway, so like 7 of us head off and go explore the Monastery of 10,000 Buddhas. Absolutely unreal. I guess this one guy and his disciples just made all of these Buddhas. Most of them are about 5 inches high, all completely the same size but each has a signature pose, face or some kind of defining feature. There is a 20 minute hike up to the main monastery, and the sides of the path are lined with about 3 foot high Buddhas.

Later on our day of culture, we saw the famous Walled City in Hong Kong. It’s pretty crazy, in this tiny lil area there used to be 350,000 people. The history is crazy, it used to be a fort to protect against the Japanese invasion. Then it turned into the slums where you could find illegal drug abuse and prostitution everywhere. Then the government came in and demolished it in the 90’s, and now it’s a park with some things preserved for history.

Yesterday, Mandy, Lisa and I went into Shenzhen to grab stuff we don’t really need. I wanted to get a cheap haircut, and lesson learned. Don’t haggle for services, because they can fuck your shit up. On top of that, the dude didn't speak English haha. So I got kinda a military hair cut again, but it’s long on the top so it kind of reminds me of Mr T. Ok, so it's definitely not to that extreme, but for sure I'm not a huge fan. It's been about 24 hours since my haircut, and no one has said anything. I'm wondering if no one noticed or if it's just that bad- maybe they just don't want to bring up a sore subject lol.

I learned this Chinese drinking game the other day. It's a lot of luck, but it's really similar to bullshit but with dice. Either way, I completely dominate in this game. Brandon, I hope you are reading this, but definitely stick with tennis hahaha.

We bought some sweet backpacks for going through China which I’m stoked about. We added two companions, Rena and Alda, so we’re pretty set. Andrew is going to meet us in Beijing, and travel part of the way with us. I’ll be meeting up with Billy in Beijing which will be awesome to see a familiar face from home again. Plus we’re meeting with the ABC’s (American Born Chinese Group) in Shanghai, which will add like 10 more people to hang out with. And of course, we’re hanging out with Ryan (my roommate) in Shanghai because that’s where he’s from! Going to be a crazy next few weeks.

Oh right, last night we went the Beijing Club. It’s supposed to be one of the hottest clubs in Hong Kong, especially for locals. The club is amazing, 3 floors (2 house and 1 hip hop). They had an event last night with a DJ from Ministry of Sound, the famous club in London. Pretty crazy, but we were tired from traveling in China so we went home early. Plus, a lot of us were too lazy to try and learn how to dance to house music so most of us were in the Hiphop room anyway hahaha.

Oh, and some news from back home! I won my election for VP of Pledge Education for DSP. It was a hard fought battle without any other candidates, but I'm glad to say I prevailed =P Here are some pics, enjoy!

Getting my haircut


The new haircut =/

Within the Walled City


I make Andrew a pimp
(L/R: Lisa, Anne, Minnie, Andrew, Rena, Mandy)


I like impersonating people


We all like impersonating people, haha


Statues built based on Chinese Legends


The Buddhas we walked pass on the hike up


Thousands of Lil Buddhas cover all four walls of the monastery

No comments: